Sunday, September 25, 2011

Shepard's Pie

I wanted to just cook last weekend, I wanted to make something I've never made before, I wanted to make something yummy, I wanted to make something comforting.


I need to work on my chit chatty commentary before I show you the food - maybe next time.


Shepard's Pie adapted from Alton Brown



Ingredients:


Potatoes

  • 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
  • 1 egg yolk
  • milk, butter, salt, pepper 

Boil the 1/2 diced potatoes until cooked, drain and return to pot adding the milk, butter, salt, and pepper to desired tasted and consistency; then add the egg yolk


Well, while the potatoes boil away, make the meat filling


Meat

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced small
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary leaves
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
  • Salt & Peppa
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and carrots till slightly browned (3 minutes) then add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the ground beef, salt and pepper, break up and cook until actually cooked through 
Add the tomato paste, chiken brother, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine.  Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Add corn and peas
Put the mixture into oven safe baking dish that is large enough for this goodness.
Top with the mashed potatoes - like this (I decided to add more potatoes than what Alton says, which means my meat to potato ratio was way off - good thing mashed potatoes have always been one of my most favorite foods in the world).


Put baking dish on a cookie sheet and into the oven for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are brown
Let cool for a minute then eat

    

No comments:

Post a Comment