Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

I am just awful at keeping this blog updated, here's what I made for Cinco de Mayo.  These enchiladas were just delicious, my brother had 3!  I don't know how authentic they are but who cares if they're super yummy.

adapted from Martha Stewart



Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients
Chicken breast cutlets - I used 3
Cooking oil - I used olive oil
Garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 to 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotles in adobo - I used 1 whole chipotle from the can, minced and more than 2 tablespoons of the liquid, which made it too spicy so I added:
Tomato Paste - about a 1/4 cup probably? I don't know, half of the smallest can from the supermarket
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 whole-wheat flour tortillas (6-inch)
Re-fried  beans
Cheese to top, why give a measurement, the more cheese the better

Additional add-ins: cilantro, lime, oregano 

The sauce:
Heat oil over medium heat and add garlic.
Add flour, cumin, and chipotles in adobo; cook, whisking, 1 minute. 
Whisk in broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. 
Reduce to a simmer, and cook, whisking occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly
Season with salt and pepper.  (after the too much chipolte mishap, I added the tomato paste)
I also added oregano, cayenne pepper, and a squeeze of lime - I probably added something else out of my pantry but eh, I don't remember so just add spices to taste.

The Chicken:
In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, bring 1 inch salted water to a boil. 
Add chicken. Cover until cooked, letting chicken steam. 
Transfer chicken to a medium bowl; shred with two forks. Toss with a cup of the sauce

The assembly:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour 1/4 cup sauce into bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish
Slightly heat tortillas 
Fill each tortilla with about a tablespoon of the heated re-fried beans and the chicken mixture
Roll up tightly, and arrange, seam side down, in baking dish. 
Cover with remaining sauce, and top with cheese. I added some chopped cilantro also!
Into the oven it goes and bake until hot and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.






Delicioso!


No comments:

Post a Comment